UNH faces Albany in AE semifinal
The UNH Volleyball team is preparing to travel to and take on Albany on Friday, Nov. 16 in the America East semifinals at 7 p.m. The Wildcats (15-3, 7-5 conference) are the fourth seed while the Great Danes (13-15, 10-2 conference) are the first seed.
Incidentally, UNH and Albany last squared off for both team's season finale on Sunday, Nov. 11 at Lundholm gymnasium.
After losing the first two sets, the Wildcats fought back with two impressive sets, winning each 25-18. The Great Danes controlled the fifth and final set. Albany won the set 15-11 and the match 3-2.
The two teams also met earlier in the season at Albany, on Oct. 12. The Great Danes won that game, 3-1.
Albany has been the powerhouse in America East volleyball for years. This will be Albany's fifth consecutive hosting of the America East championship, and eighth in nine years. The Great Danes have also won seven of the last nine championships.
UNH has won three America East championships in 1998, 2002 and 2003. All three years the America East tournament was hosted in Durham. Current head coach Jill Hirschinger was also the head coach for all three of those championship teams.
Last year the Wildcats earned the number two seed and faced the number three seed Stony Brook. The Wildcats ended up losing that match 3-1. Then senior Amy Keding was named to the All-Tournament team.
Despite being heavy underdogs in the match, the Wildcats are staying positive and excited for the America East tournament.
"Our biggest goal right now is to win conferences, to do it as a team," junior captain Morgan Thatcher said. "Everyone has a role and a job on this team and as long as we all do that job, we'll be okay."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”