Gas Light Co. holds FashioNation
FashioNation is a fund-raising fashion show that was held at the Portsmouth Gas Light Co. The event took place on Thursday, Nov. 15, and profits went to 3S Artspace.
The event incorporated music, art and fashion from the Seacoast area and featured up-and-coming styles and products for the holiday season.
FashioNation is a community-driven event that involves local companies. Styles from eight clothing stores represented by models on a runway, artwork, and live DJs were all features of the event.
The event featured clothing from LunaChics, I Like That;), Bobbles & Lace, GFC Clothing, Pretty Little Things, Second Time Around, Denimrack and the Wear House, all of which are located in Portsmouth.
The DJs included TVP Records and Groove:Lounge, who performed onstage, with performances from Rayel, Ape Undu and special guests.
Sam Farrand's artwork was projected onto screens in the restaurant. Farrand is a local artist from Newmarket. Homestead Digital Design photographed the entire event, including the audience.
The fashion show began at 8 p.m. Prior to the start, guests were encouraged to check out the artwork, listen to the sets from TVP Records and sip on beverages from the custom cocktail menu, featuring Belvedere Vodka. The event was media sponsored by NH Seacoast TV and Taste of the Seacoast.
Angela Drew, owner of the Wear House, a consignment store in downtown Portsmouth, participated in FashioNation for the first time. Drew said she was hoping to "get exposure, have fun and go for the experience."
Drew said she loves "putting outfits together" and that her favorite part of the job is "creating personas, styles and looks from the random pieces that come in on a daily basis."
This was the second FashioNation event held. The first FashioNation took place last May, and featured local boutiques, musicians and artists. Each FashioNation event donates its proceeds to a different charity. A portion of the proceeds from last year's event went to Speaking Up for New Hampshire Children.
Scott Ruffner started FashioNation and still organizes the event. About 160 people showed up at the last event, which Ruffner said, "created a packed house."
Ruffner said he reached out to 3S just when the company was getting off the ground and really connected with what they were doing.
"This area has a strong creative community, but let's face it, in many ways it's a walking, breathing history book," Ruffner said. "FashioNation is just an honest reflection of what's going on here."
3S Artspace is located at 319 Vaughan St., in Portsmouth. It is a 501c3 non-profit organization that should be under renovation by April 2013. As of Nov. 1, 3S had raised $970,000 in donations, nearly halfway to the group's goal of $2.2 million.
There will be four unique spaces inside the building. The second floor will hold 16 studios available for artists to lease. There will be a 1,800 square foot non-commercial gallery space to host exhibitions of many kinds, including installations. Shows of a wide variety can be held in the 400-person capacity performance space. Additionally, there will be a bar and restaurant that will offer "inspired, inexpensive farm-to-table dining."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR