Student enjoys first ever 'JB' at Franz's
A walk down Main Street in Durham, New Hampshire provides ample options for a hungry Wildcat. Students can grab a cup of chai and a croissant at Breaking New Grounds, a hot slice of pepperoni from Durham House of Pizza or even some falafel from Pauly's Pockets. Countless restaurants line the familiar walk, and no account of Durham's eatery options would be complete without mention of Franz's Food.
Nestled between Young's Restaurant and Hayden Sports is the Durham Launder center, where students and residents alike can always expect more than just a clean load of clothes. For more than 13, the Durham Launder center has shared a roof with one of Main Street's most loved dining attractions.
A laundromat might seem like an unlikely place to set up shop and start serving meals, but Franz's founder, Franz Guest, was not concerned. On the Franz's website, Guest writes, "I chose the 92.5 square foot space because the location was good. The location was very good." And the location has served him and his patrons well. Since Valentine's Day of 2001, Franz's has been offering a wide variety of breakfast and lunch dishes, many of which are made from scratch. Guest's top priority has always been to provide "the best quality food" to the public. The back of the Franz's menu reaffirms this belief in good location and great food, reading: "It doesn't matter where you make great food, (even in a Laundromat) people will find you and tell others about you."
Inside the Franz's menu, one can find over 60 options under headings such as "DELI SANDWICHES," "FROM THE GRILL MEISTER" and "BREAKFAST (served all day!" From hot pastrami sandwiches to several varieties of veggie burger, there's something on the Franz's menu for everyone, but there's one Franz's dish in particular that everyone should try at least once: The 'JB.'
The 'JB' is Franz's breakfast burrito, consisting of two fried eggs, bacon, American cheese and two hash browns with ketchup, all rolled up in a grilled flour tortilla. This burrito, order No. 6 on the Franz's menu, is one of the most popular dishes served in the laundromat-turned-diner. Benjamin French, a UNH freshman, headed to Franz's midday last Wednesday in search of his first 'JB.'
"I'm excited," French said after he ordered his burrito, "and I've heard good things, so I'm expecting excellence."
At 1:30 p.m., the lunch rush had passed, and service at Franz's was quick and friendly. Within minutes, the mathematics major had his first "JB" in his hands. Sitting down at the small counter behind Franz's front window, French unwrapped the burrito and took his first bite.
"That's tasty," French said, before finishing his mouthful. Upon swallowing, the pleased customer said, "there's a good combination of something in here, for sure."
While French continued to enjoy his "JB," other customers filtered in and out of the laundromat, some toting bags of clothes and others just stopping in for a bite. A pair of friends played a game of Pacman on the old arcade game between drink coolers, and a UNH student took a break from her run down Main Street to buy a water bottle and chat with her friends working behind the counter. The welcoming atmosphere of the restaurant was clear from the laughter and friendly give-and-take between patrons and staff.
As Benjamin French finished his breakfast burrito, he deemed it "very delicious," and "exceeded my expectations." In regards to return visits to Franz's, French said he'd probably get another "JB," then start exploring the rest of the menu. "I'll be back," French said with a smile. "Maybe later today!"
In 2001, Franz Guest set out to prove that he could serve quality food in an unexpected location, and thirteen years later he continues to achieve his goal. Franz's Food is a unique and valued addition to the UNH campus and Durham's Main Street and definitely an option worth exploring. Eat up, Wildcats.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership