BiblioTech hired to move books
Moving the biological sciences annex library out of Kendall Hall and into Dimond Library is proving to be a task as massive as the libraries themselves.
The original moving project for the summer would have taken 500 carts and 70 people, Valerie Harper, IT librarian and project manager, said. This would have caused the library to not be able to offer their services if they had to utilize their own staff for the project. So they decided to utilize the services of BiblioTech, Inc.
BiblioTech started in 1992 as a company that specialized in moving libraries along with museums and archives. According to their website, "BiblioTech Inc. provides its customers with the optimum blend of experience in the areas of librarianship, large scale relocations, and construction/renovation/space planning."
"We have used them before, we trust them, we are very appreciative of how flexible they have been with this process," Harper said.
In February, BiblioTech did the initial consultations on the project. At the end of February, BiblioTech was contracted to do the move. BiblioTech has been on campus since the beginning of April; they have to leave before final exams and return when exams are over. "We did not want them moving books, we did not want them moving around in the shelves while students were taking finals," Harper said.
Harper said BiblioTech was also contracted to perform the weeding out that has occurred within Dimond already.
"We identified the materials, and they would take them off the shelf and get them disposed of for us according to the contract," Harper said.
The move is complicated; materials are being moved into Dimond from the old biological sciences library in Kendall Hall. Materials are being moved within Dimond up and down from the other floors, and the bound periodicals are being integrated into the stacks.
Harper said that the process as BiblioTech has explained it to her will involve having a section being moved out, which will clear a space. Then the newly cleared space will be filled with materials that are going to be staying in that space. Then this process will be repeated until the move is done.
As of right now, BiblioTech is working on collection layout and planning into June, Harper said. They will begin the pre-move preparation on the June 2. The moving crew itself will be starting on June 9. The move will take BiblioTech approximately five-and-a-half weeks, which should have them finishing the project on July 18. This gives extra time before the library's deadline of August 1 to have the project finished.
This is not the first time that The University of New Hampshire has utilized BiblioTech, Inc. When Dimond Library was renovated in 1997, BiblioTech moved all the materials that were scattered during the renovation back into Dimond.
Roughly two years ago, BiblioTech helped move the reference collection, which was cut in half, within Dimond. BiblioTech also moved materials and rearranged collections within the chemistry library annex in Parsons Hall.
"They have a history with us," Harper said.
BiblioTech was not available for comment at the time of publication.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR