Marvel's 'The Avengers' is worth the wait
No, they really don't. State Radio is overrated and a bore of an act. A real rock band? Please, you haven't a clue what real rock music is if these guys are your go-to rock band. Anonymous
"The Avengers" needs no introduction. Perhaps one of the most highly anticipated movies in recent memory, "The Avengers" was finally released back on May 4, 2012 in the United States. One and a half billion dollars later, the movie is one of the most financially successful films ever. Thankfully, it was also one of the most successful comic book adaptations.
For those looking for a dark, gritty, more realistic superhero film, like one of Christopher Nolan's Batman, then you are simply out of luck. "The Avengers", from the get-go, is a movie about epic explosions and fighting on a grand scale. The opening scene of Loki single handily taking down the S.H.I.E.L.D. base is jaw-dropping and a great way to get the movie viewer into the action.
"The Avengers" is lengthy, and I don't want to ruin anything for those of you who haven't seen it. What I can say is that the film does a wonderful job of accommodating all of its audience members. If you have been invested from the start in this franchise, going back to the original "Iron Man", then you will be rewarded for your attentive watching from those earlier films.
The narrative of the film is singular in that the film highlights the important concepts you need to understand the film's plot, but it is also multi-layered, touching on elements from all previous films that makes an audience member smile if they understand the references.
There have been few attempts to make large scale "team-up" movies, understandably so, considering the cost and time commitments on so many different levels. Marvel got it right though with this set of characters, putting them all under the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" umbrella that tied them together. It helped link each and every one of these characters and story elements together. It's this attention to detail that really makes it feel like a "comic book" film.
"The Avengers" story is simple and structured in a way to make the battles and feel of the movie epic. This helps to satisfy the anticipation that has been building up in the audience as we have waited countless years for the film. But the film is not all about things blowing up and epic fight scenes.
It runs long for a reason; it focuses on its characters and really builds them up. While Thor remains a huge disappointment in terms of character development (which I found surprising as Loki, the main villain, is his brother), Bruce Banner (the Hulk), Black Widow, and Hawkeye all have very nice character development and performances by their actors. Captain America and Iron Man also duke it out for leading man, which gets a little stale at some points, but both characters are already strong so it doesn't ruin the viewing experience.
The star of the show, however, may be Tom Hiddleston. While Loki's motives are a bit confusing, Hiddleston does a fantastic job as the crazed Loki, giving grit to a character you know is doomed to fail.
"The Avengers" is definitely worth a watch, or seven. But in all seriousness, if for whatever reason you didn't make it out to see "The Avengers" this summer or on T-Hall lawn last Friday, then do yourself a favor and go see it this weekend at the MUB.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”