UNH nets Hockey East All-Star
Sophomore van Riemsdyk recipient of the honor
University of New Hampshire sophomore defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk was named a Hockey East First-Team All-Star, while sophomore netminder Casey DeSmith and junior forward Kevin Goumas were named Hockey East Honorable Mention All-Stars. Thursday's announcements were made at the league awards banquet, held at the Royal Sonesta Hotel in Cambridge.
van Riemsdyk headlines the group after having a stellar season from the blue line.
The sophomore recorded seven goals and 24 assists for 31 points, tops among league defensemen. He finished with two power-play goals, two game-winners and one shorthanded tally. van Riemsdyk notched a career-high four points, all of which were assists, in New Hampshire's 6-2 win over Merrimack (Jan. 26) in the battle for the RiverStone Cup at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, N.H.
He recorded a trio of helpers as the Wildcats topped Vermont, 4-3 (Feb. 22). In all, he registered multiple points in 11 games and is ranked first in Hockey East and fourth nationally in defensive scoring.
DeSmith earned Honorable Mention All-Star status after compiling a record of 18-9-7 with five shutouts. He posted a .924 save percentage and a career-best 2.24 goals-against average.
The sophomore set a UNH program record after playing 203 minutes, 32 seconds of consecutive shutout hockey, spanning four games (Nov. 4-Nov. 18). DeSmith was named the Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week five times over the course of the season and also took home Hockey East Goalie of the Month honors in October and November.
Goumas was also tabbed to the Honorable Mention All-Star squad after posting career-high marks in goals (10), assists (32) and points (42). He is the first Wildcat to eclipse the 40-point barrier since 2010-11. Goumas registered a 10-game point streak (Nov. 2-Dec. 6) during which he notched 19 points (7g, 12a). Against No. 2 Denver (Nov. 24), the junior paced a dramatic Wildcats' comeback with a career-high five points, including a hat trick and two assists. All three of his goals came in the third period.
The Wildcats hope to extend the season with an at-large bid to the 16-team field for the 2013 NCAA Division I Championship tournament. The NCAA Selection Show is Sunday, March 24 at 9 p.m. on ESPNU. If selected, the Wildcats would compete March 29-30 at the NCAA Northeast Regional, hosted by UNH, at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, N.H.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections