Men's Hockey: Power play productive in Wildcat win
The UNH hockey team captured its 11th win of the season on Friday night with a 6-3 victory over No. 19 Nebraska-Omaha. Eric Knodel scored two power play goals in the first period, and Trevor van Riemsdyk tallied three assists in the win. The game also saw a pair of freshmen, Dylan Maller and Colin Bourque, notch their first collegiate point, each with an assist in the second period.
UNO was the first to get on the board, scoring just 3:24 into the opening frame. Josh Archibald was positioned in front of the net and received a rebound after a shot by Ian Brady hit the leg of a player in front of the net. Archibald let off a quick wrist shot that went past netminder Casey DeSmith for his 12th goal of the season.
Knodel answered midway through the period, when UNH got their first power play of the game. After two good looks, UNH cycled the puck and Knodel found it with a shooting lane at the point. His wrist shot beat UNO goalie Ryan Massa on the left post.
His second goal came in almost identical fashion with just 30 seconds to play in the period, this time with a slap shot from the point that beat Massa on the left side.
"Our power play did a great job of moving the puck tonight," Knodel said after the game. "It was something we needed to work on in the past couple of weeks and it paid off tonight."
In the second period, Austin Ortega tied it up for the Mavericks when he beat Matias Cleland in a one-on-one and snapped the puck over DeSmith's shoulder at a difficult angle.
UNH took control of the game in the second period, however, and scored three unanswered goals in a span of 5:34 to take a commanding three-goal lead.
Matt Willows scored the first goal, in a three-on-two with Bourque and Kevin Goumas. Bourque carried it into the zone and sent it across the ice to Goumas, who looked to shoot the puck. When the passing lane opened, he dropped it off to Willows who only had to tap the puck in.
Dan Correale scored his third goal of the season, highlighted by a backdoor pass from Justin Agosta. Correale found himself on the back post and dangled around a defender, putting the back hand on the far post past Massa.
Casey Thrush finished the scoring in the period with a 2-on-1 with van Riemsdyk. The UNO defender dove to cut off the pass, but Thrush was able to find space and score his third of the year.
Archibald added a second goal to his tally for the Mavericks in the third, but they were unable to take advantage with their goalie pulled, allowing UNH to score the empty netter to bring the game to its final of 6-3.
"They were able to take advantage of the opportunities they created for themselves," assistant coach Troy Jutting said.
Justin Loring can be reached on Twitter @JLo_TNH
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership