Girlfriend of suspected murderer indicted in Lizzi Marriott case
Kathryn "Kat" McDonough indicted on three charges
A woman charged in connection with the disappearance and death of UNH student Elizabeth "Lizzi" Marriott, 19, in October of last year has been accused of another charge in the case.
Kathryn "Kat" McDonough, 19, of Portsmouth, was indicted with a new charge of witness tampering in addition to her other felony charges of hindering apprehension or prosecution and conspiracy to commit hindering apprehension or prosecution. She was indicted of all three charges by a grand jury on April 3 in Rockingham Superior Court.
According to multiple news outlets, McDonough is Seth Mazzaglia's girlfriend. Mazzaglia, 30, is accused of strangling or suffocating Marriott and is charged with second-degree murder.
The new indictment document released by the court accuses McDonough of trying to persuade a woman named Roberta Gerkin to lie to the police on Nov. 7, 2012.
"McDonough advised Roberta Gerkin to inform officials... Gerkin did not enter the Dover apartment resided in by McDonough and Seth Mazzaglia," said the indictment.
McDonough's previous charges - hindering and conspiracy to commit hindering apprehension or prosecution - allege that McDonough worked with Mazzaglia to try to deceive investigators.
The indictment continued to say that "Katherine McDonough purposefully gave a false alibi to investigators" for both herself and Mazzaglia, knowing he was likely to be charged with murder.
Mazzaglia is also accused of giving a false alibi to investigators.
Marriott went missing on Oct. 9, 2012, after leaving a night class at UNH. Mazzaglia was arrested on Oct. 13 and charged with her murder. On Dec. 24, McDonough was arrested in connection with the case. Marriott's body has not been found despite search efforts.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections