Hospitality Program adds two new specializations
The Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics has just released a new curriculum for the undergraduate students in the Hospitality Management program. Starting in the Fall Semester of 2014, Hospitality Management majors can choose from three different specializations: lodging and resort management, food and beverage management and event management.
"The Department of Hospitality Management is pleased to be able to offer three new specializations to our students," said Professor Clayton Barrows, chair of the Hospitality Management Department. "These specializations came as a result of input and suggestions from various constituents including alumni, faculty, current students and prospective students."
These concentrations add to the coursework of the Hospitality Management major, which is sometimes known to be rigorous by students who dedicate their time to manage special events outside normal class hours.
"The premise behind the change is that students entering college are searching for the ability to not only get a well-rounded education in hospitality management, but to concentrate their time and efforts in areas that are of special interest to them," Barrows said.
Each of these new specializations will require a total of four additional courses, which students can choose from a pre-approved list. The basic Hospitality curriculum prepares students to step into industry roles upon graduation. Now with the added specializations, students can get a jump-start on their dream jobs.
Many students seem to enjoy the enhanced curriculum as well. Rebecca Bonder, a junior Hospitality Management major, seems eager to see the new specializations.
"I'm very happy to see my major expand like this," Bonder said. "I'm very excited to start on my concentration of event management because that is what I would ideally like to do in the future."
Bonder's reaction is exactly the kind of interest Barrows hopes to see in the future.
"Our department expects that by introducing the new specializations, interest will increase in the major," Barrows said. "We also believe that having a specialization will enhance student marketability when they enter the job market."
While the department just added these new specializations, Barrows said the expansion doesn't stop here.
"Finally, we are currently engaged in the planning process to add additional specializations in the future," Barrows said. "With the addition of these new features, enrollment numbers are expected to increase for the business school's smallest program."
Founded in 1926, The Department of Hospitality Management is the second oldest hospitality program in the country and was recently named as one of the top 25 hospitality programs in the country. The Hospitality program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality (ACPHA), which is the leading accreditor for Hospitality programs.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR