UNH prepares for Quinnipiac
The University of New Hampshire women's ice hockey team will host non-conference opponent Quinnipiac University at the Whittemore Center on Tuesday night at 7 p.m.
Coming into the game, UNH posts an overall record of 5-7-1 and a Hockey East record of 3-2-1, while Quinnipiac University enters the game with an overall record of 7-5-2 and a 4-3-1 record in ECAC action.
New Hampshire has changed its pace as of late, as the team played well in its past three games, posting a record of 2-0-1. The Wildcats last game out was a road game against Hockey East rival Maine, whom they defeated 2-1 in regulation.
Freshmen forward Brittney Redlick scored the game-winning goal to lift the Wildcats past the rival Black Bears in Orono last Saturday. Megan Armstrong continued her success in the scoring department as she tallied a power play goal 12:46 into the first period, to give UNH a quick 1-0 lead. Kailey Chappell and Nicole Gifford contributed on the play with assists.
Redlick followed with the game-deciding goal four minutes later as teammates Jenna Lascelle and rookie sensation Sara Carlson each grabbed an assist on the play.
The Wildcats fired shots on a consistent basis, as they totaled an astounding 40 shots on net. UNH goaltender Jenn Gilligan allowed one goal in the game, which came early in the second period, when Tori Pasquariello got Maine on the board with a powerplay goal. Jennifer More and Audra Richards were credited with the assists.
Gilligan grabbed her second win of the season, moving her record in net for the season at 2-0-0.
The key players to watch for on the UNH squad are freshman standouts Jonna Curtis (6 points), Sara Carlson (8 points), Alexis Crossley (7 points), seniors Kristine Horn (7 points) and Kristina Lavoie (10 points) who returns for the 2012-2013 as the leader in career goals (48) and points (91) among active UNH players.
Quinnipiac is coming off a high offensive scoring contest with St. Lawrence, as they came away with the win in come from behind fashion winning 6-4.
The Bobcats received mass production throughout their lineup on Saturday, as 11 of their 18 skaters finished with at least one point.
All of the scoring came against a St. Lawrence team that was riding a seven-game winning streak and held a share of first place in the ECAC standings entering Saturday.
The Bobcats look to continue their burst of offense against UNH, whom they have not ever beaten. They are 0-7-1 in eight meetings against UNH.
They key players to watch for on the Quinnipiac squad are junior forward Kelly Babstock who leads the team in goals with (14) and points (29), sophomore forward Nicole Kosta who is second in points with (23) and leads the team in assists (16), senior defensemen Regan Boulton who is third on the team with (13) points.
Also watch for senior goaltender Victoria Vigillanti who posts a 2.58 goals against average, a .894 save percentage and an overall record of 6-3-1.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections