UNH prepares for Quinnipiac
The University of New Hampshire women's ice hockey team will host non-conference opponent Quinnipiac University at the Whittemore Center on Tuesday night at 7 p.m.
Coming into the game, UNH posts an overall record of 5-7-1 and a Hockey East record of 3-2-1, while Quinnipiac University enters the game with an overall record of 7-5-2 and a 4-3-1 record in ECAC action.
New Hampshire has changed its pace as of late, as the team played well in its past three games, posting a record of 2-0-1. The Wildcats last game out was a road game against Hockey East rival Maine, whom they defeated 2-1 in regulation.
Freshmen forward Brittney Redlick scored the game-winning goal to lift the Wildcats past the rival Black Bears in Orono last Saturday. Megan Armstrong continued her success in the scoring department as she tallied a power play goal 12:46 into the first period, to give UNH a quick 1-0 lead. Kailey Chappell and Nicole Gifford contributed on the play with assists.
Redlick followed with the game-deciding goal four minutes later as teammates Jenna Lascelle and rookie sensation Sara Carlson each grabbed an assist on the play.
The Wildcats fired shots on a consistent basis, as they totaled an astounding 40 shots on net. UNH goaltender Jenn Gilligan allowed one goal in the game, which came early in the second period, when Tori Pasquariello got Maine on the board with a powerplay goal. Jennifer More and Audra Richards were credited with the assists.
Gilligan grabbed her second win of the season, moving her record in net for the season at 2-0-0.
The key players to watch for on the UNH squad are freshman standouts Jonna Curtis (6 points), Sara Carlson (8 points), Alexis Crossley (7 points), seniors Kristine Horn (7 points) and Kristina Lavoie (10 points) who returns for the 2012-2013 as the leader in career goals (48) and points (91) among active UNH players.
Quinnipiac is coming off a high offensive scoring contest with St. Lawrence, as they came away with the win in come from behind fashion winning 6-4.
The Bobcats received mass production throughout their lineup on Saturday, as 11 of their 18 skaters finished with at least one point.
All of the scoring came against a St. Lawrence team that was riding a seven-game winning streak and held a share of first place in the ECAC standings entering Saturday.
The Bobcats look to continue their burst of offense against UNH, whom they have not ever beaten. They are 0-7-1 in eight meetings against UNH.
They key players to watch for on the Quinnipiac squad are junior forward Kelly Babstock who leads the team in goals with (14) and points (29), sophomore forward Nicole Kosta who is second in points with (23) and leads the team in assists (16), senior defensemen Regan Boulton who is third on the team with (13) points.
Also watch for senior goaltender Victoria Vigillanti who posts a 2.58 goals against average, a .894 save percentage and an overall record of 6-3-1.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR