Reed hits game winner
Guard Cari Reed hit an electrifying three-pointer with three seconds left in the game to lift the Wildcats over Holy Cross, 68-65 on Saturday in Worcester, Mass. The win gives the UNH a 2-0 record.
After being down for the majority of the game, senior forward Morgan Frame hit a basket to put UNH up 65-61 with 59 seconds left in the game. On the Crusaders ensuing possession, UNH sophomore forward Kaylee Kilpatrick fouled center Emily Parker. Parker nailed both free throws making the score 65-63.
The Wildcats took a 30-second timeout with 36 seconds left to play. Senior guard Cari Reed turned the ball over, giving Holy Cross another possession to either tie the game or take the lead. Parker then answered the call for the Crusaders and sunk a bucket to tie the game up.
UNH took another timeout with 20 seconds left to play. Senior guard and captain Kelsey Hogan passed the ball to Reed and, making up for her untimely turnover just seconds earlier, nailed the three-pointer to give the Wildcats the win.
Reed led all players in scoring with 18 points and also pulled down 12 rebounds for a double-double. Frame, despite only playing 22 minutes, put up an impressive 17 points.
Hogan, who was on the court for 38 minutes of play, recorded 14 points, nine assists, and five rebounds.
The Crusaders ended the Wildcats season last year in the Women's Basketball Invitational, defeating UNH 63-59.
The Wildcats continue their non-conference schedule with a trip to Boston College on Tuesday, Nov. 20. Tip-off is at 7 p.m. The Eagles are 2-1, with a loss to Boston University and wins against Holy Cross and BYU.
UNH will then return home Sunday, Nov. 25 for their home opener against Cornell. Tip-off for that game is at 1 p.m. Cornell is currently 1-1.
The Wildcats 2-0 start is the best start since the 2005-2006 season. Head Coach Maureen Magarity, now in her third year as head coach, holds a 26-34 record.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections