Reed hits game winner
Guard Cari Reed hit an electrifying three-pointer with three seconds left in the game to lift the Wildcats over Holy Cross, 68-65 on Saturday in Worcester, Mass. The win gives the UNH a 2-0 record.
After being down for the majority of the game, senior forward Morgan Frame hit a basket to put UNH up 65-61 with 59 seconds left in the game. On the Crusaders ensuing possession, UNH sophomore forward Kaylee Kilpatrick fouled center Emily Parker. Parker nailed both free throws making the score 65-63.
The Wildcats took a 30-second timeout with 36 seconds left to play. Senior guard Cari Reed turned the ball over, giving Holy Cross another possession to either tie the game or take the lead. Parker then answered the call for the Crusaders and sunk a bucket to tie the game up.
UNH took another timeout with 20 seconds left to play. Senior guard and captain Kelsey Hogan passed the ball to Reed and, making up for her untimely turnover just seconds earlier, nailed the three-pointer to give the Wildcats the win.
Reed led all players in scoring with 18 points and also pulled down 12 rebounds for a double-double. Frame, despite only playing 22 minutes, put up an impressive 17 points.
Hogan, who was on the court for 38 minutes of play, recorded 14 points, nine assists, and five rebounds.
The Crusaders ended the Wildcats season last year in the Women's Basketball Invitational, defeating UNH 63-59.
The Wildcats continue their non-conference schedule with a trip to Boston College on Tuesday, Nov. 20. Tip-off is at 7 p.m. The Eagles are 2-1, with a loss to Boston University and wins against Holy Cross and BYU.
UNH will then return home Sunday, Nov. 25 for their home opener against Cornell. Tip-off for that game is at 1 p.m. Cornell is currently 1-1.
The Wildcats 2-0 start is the best start since the 2005-2006 season. Head Coach Maureen Magarity, now in her third year as head coach, holds a 26-34 record.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus