Reggae gets a modern vibe
The biggest problem with reggae music is that it adheres to a certain musical formula that most aspiring bands fall victim to. The All Good Feel Good Collective have managed to break the mold while still polishing off the most important aspects of the genre.
These brainy college kids have an ear for skilled fills, and an eye for quick wit in their lyrics (the aggressive title of the eponymous really sounds like nothing more than a dreamy rocksteady jam).
While Nate Asheton lacks the heart-on-your-sleeve vocal melody of idols Bob Marley and "Toots" Hibbert, the band certainly exercised perfect placement of their harmonies on their album Rules of Revolution.
Like any party band, however, without the ability to extend their grooves in the studio, the songs have tendency to blend together. The first three tracks remain interchangeable, even after the fifth and sixth listen. But the brass quintet still find ways to make memorable riffs in their shining moments and you can heave a sigh of relief for how catchy the choruses are.
The band pays a deep respect to the genre and, like the Black Keys with the blues, they have found a way to take a dying genre and make it modern and, more importantly, exciting. But don't let the title fool you: If you're looking to get stuck in anarchy, this band is more likely to just get stoned and talk it out.
Final Grade: B
Tracks to stream:
"Rules of Revolution"
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The New Hampshire News Articles
Recent The New Hampshire News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE NEW HAMPSHIRE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NEW HAMPSHIRE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit