UNH police holding campus safety talk
The Alpha Delta Phi Literary Society and UNH Police Department will join forces for a free, open-campus safety talk in the Granite State Room of the MUB from 7 to 9 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 26.
"This is the first public campus safety talk," said junior Sean Moreau, the society's risk management chairman. "Our first campus safety talk with the UNH Police Department was last spring, where an officer talked to only [Alpha Delta] Phi members."
As the risk management chairman, Moreau is responsible for obtaining permits from both the police and fire departments for the society when needed. Moreau also plans "educational programming in the area of risk management," such as the campus safety talk.
The talk will be led by Sgt. Frank Weeks and will include an open discussion for questions afterwards. The discussion about campus safety will include navigating campus at night, dispelling rumors of the blue emergency lights, making safety recommendations and discussing the amnesty program.
"We want to inform the community to make sure everyone at UNH feels safe, and to commend the UNH PD for all the hard work they do to keep students protected on campus," Moreau said. "Especially after the tragedy of Lizzi Marriott, we want to educate students on precautions, what to do during emergencies, and how to protect themselves in threatening or dangerous situations."
"We do (campus safety talks) upon request," said Paul Dean, chief of police and executive director of public safety. "This is a fairly routine thing we do on campus in residence halls and with student organizations."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The New Hampshire News Articles
Recent The New Hampshire News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE NEW HAMPSHIRE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NEW HAMPSHIRE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...