UNH football player arrested on charges of rape
Jerome Wilkins, a defensive back on the UNH football team, was arrested Thursday, accused of raping a former UNH student during a party this summer.
Wilkins, of Baltimore, Md., is accused of raping a woman on July 30 outside 10 Coe Drive, a house where other football players lived.
"It happened outside, on the side of the house," Assistant County Attorney Katheryn Smykowski told the New Hampshire Union Leader. "He forcibly raped her."
According to Smykowski, the woman, a recent graduate of the Thompson School, went back inside and told her friends that she had been raped and suspected Wilkins. Smykowski told the Union Leader that the woman was intoxicated and thought that it might have been Wilkins, but was not sure.
Smykowski also said that no one called police and the woman did not report the rape until the following day.
Wilkins turned himself in to police Thursday afternoon and was charged with a single count of aggravated felonious sexual assault, according to the Union Leader. He was held on $50,000 cash bail.
Athletic Director Marty Scarano told the Union Leader that Wilkins was suspended from the football team on Thursday afternoon when officials found out about the arrest. He played for the team this season because the athletics department had no knowledge of the accusation, Scarano said.
Wilkins is scheduled to be arraigned Friday morning in Rochester District Court.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge