UNH football player arrested on charges of rape
Jerome Wilkins, a defensive back on the UNH football team, was arrested Thursday, accused of raping a former UNH student during a party this summer.
Wilkins, of Baltimore, Md., is accused of raping a woman on July 30 outside 10 Coe Drive, a house where other football players lived.
"It happened outside, on the side of the house," Assistant County Attorney Katheryn Smykowski told the New Hampshire Union Leader. "He forcibly raped her."
According to Smykowski, the woman, a recent graduate of the Thompson School, went back inside and told her friends that she had been raped and suspected Wilkins. Smykowski told the Union Leader that the woman was intoxicated and thought that it might have been Wilkins, but was not sure.
Smykowski also said that no one called police and the woman did not report the rape until the following day.
Wilkins turned himself in to police Thursday afternoon and was charged with a single count of aggravated felonious sexual assault, according to the Union Leader. He was held on $50,000 cash bail.
Athletic Director Marty Scarano told the Union Leader that Wilkins was suspended from the football team on Thursday afternoon when officials found out about the arrest. He played for the team this season because the athletics department had no knowledge of the accusation, Scarano said.
Wilkins is scheduled to be arraigned Friday morning in Rochester District Court.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses