UNH football player arrested on charges of rape
Jerome Wilkins, a defensive back on the UNH football team, was arrested Thursday, accused of raping a former UNH student during a party this summer.
Wilkins, of Baltimore, Md., is accused of raping a woman on July 30 outside 10 Coe Drive, a house where other football players lived.
"It happened outside, on the side of the house," Assistant County Attorney Katheryn Smykowski told the New Hampshire Union Leader. "He forcibly raped her."
According to Smykowski, the woman, a recent graduate of the Thompson School, went back inside and told her friends that she had been raped and suspected Wilkins. Smykowski told the Union Leader that the woman was intoxicated and thought that it might have been Wilkins, but was not sure.
Smykowski also said that no one called police and the woman did not report the rape until the following day.
Wilkins turned himself in to police Thursday afternoon and was charged with a single count of aggravated felonious sexual assault, according to the Union Leader. He was held on $50,000 cash bail.
Athletic Director Marty Scarano told the Union Leader that Wilkins was suspended from the football team on Thursday afternoon when officials found out about the arrest. He played for the team this season because the athletics department had no knowledge of the accusation, Scarano said.
Wilkins is scheduled to be arraigned Friday morning in Rochester District Court.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The New Hampshire News Articles
Recent The New Hampshire News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE NEW HAMPSHIRE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NEW HAMPSHIRE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools