Annual Stand Against Silence Vigil
This was the sight in front of Thompson Hall on Wednesday, with 1,100 chairs representing the amount of college students who commit suicide each year. Amanda Cote/Staff
On April 23, 2014, Active Minds at UNH held a vigil as part of their annual Stand Against Silence demonstration on the Great Lawn. The purpose was to honor the one in four college students that struggle with mental illness and commemorate the 1,100 that die by suicide each year.
"These chairs represent the 1,100 college students that commit suicide each year," was written across a banner displayed in the front row of the mass of empty blue folding chairs, which were set up early that morning to serve as a reminder to anyone who passed the Great Lawn that day. Upon seeing the sheer amount of space taken up by these chairs and what they represented, several students expressed how sobering the sight was.
That night, there was a vigil held in front of Thompson Hall. Students stood around the flagpole holding small candles listening to those who had chosen to speak on the matter. Among those in attendance were Chaplain Larry Brickner-Wood, who shared his thoughts on the importance of talking through these types of situations to prevent more tragedies in the future. Near the end of the candlelight vigil, Mary Jacquelyn sang a few songs to honor those who had passed, including "Amazing Grace."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership