Annual Stand Against Silence Vigil
This was the sight in front of Thompson Hall on Wednesday, with 1,100 chairs representing the amount of college students who commit suicide each year. Amanda Cote/Staff
On April 23, 2014, Active Minds at UNH held a vigil as part of their annual Stand Against Silence demonstration on the Great Lawn. The purpose was to honor the one in four college students that struggle with mental illness and commemorate the 1,100 that die by suicide each year.
"These chairs represent the 1,100 college students that commit suicide each year," was written across a banner displayed in the front row of the mass of empty blue folding chairs, which were set up early that morning to serve as a reminder to anyone who passed the Great Lawn that day. Upon seeing the sheer amount of space taken up by these chairs and what they represented, several students expressed how sobering the sight was.
That night, there was a vigil held in front of Thompson Hall. Students stood around the flagpole holding small candles listening to those who had chosen to speak on the matter. Among those in attendance were Chaplain Larry Brickner-Wood, who shared his thoughts on the importance of talking through these types of situations to prevent more tragedies in the future. Near the end of the candlelight vigil, Mary Jacquelyn sang a few songs to honor those who had passed, including "Amazing Grace."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge