The Daily Beast names UNH America's "druggiest college"
TheDailyBeast.com has ranked the University of New Hampshire first on its list of America's "50 Druggiest Colleges." The list was released Monday.
New England universities took the top four places. UNH was followed by Northeastern University, Bryant University, and the University of Maine. The University of Vermont was ranked 18th.
The site used "drug scene" grades from College Prowler, a student review database, along with data on illicit drug, marijuana, and cocaine use by state for 18-25 year olds and U.S. Department of Education data for the number of on-campus arrests for 2009 for drug-law violations for each school.
According to the website: "The College Prowler grades were assigned a numerical value according to the letter grade assigned, which was weighted one-third of each school's final score; the arrests-per-capita rank and drug use ranks were also ranked one-third of the final rank."
UNH spokeswoman Erika Mantz told the Boston Herald: "This does not accurately reflect the campus environment at the University of New Hampshire. It is not clear how this unscientific ranking was determined."
The data given for UNH is below:
Drug use grade: C-
Percentage of 18-25s statewide using drugs regularly: 29.21
Percentage of 18-25s statewide using marijuana regularly: 41.54
Percentage of 18-25s statewide using cocaine regularly: 7.23
2009 on-campus arrests for drug law violations: 106
Student population: 15,253
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections