Police break up 500-person party
Over 500 people gathered in the Madbury Court area on Saturday, April 27, for a party that quickly attracted police attention.
According to Durham Deputy Chief Rene Kelley, a resident called police at 4:11 p.m. asking police "to remove a large crowd from his yard and the street."
"If an emergency vehicle had to get access to that road, it wouldn't have been able to [due to the crowd]," Kelley said.
Durham police officers arrived on the scene to find hundreds of people, both students and non-students, partying. They then left in order to request assistance from the UNH Police Department and returned to Madbury Street.
"Leading up to the police arriving, we were all partying around the house," freshman student Allen Cherbaka, who was at the party, said. "I heard people yelling that the cops were there and bottles started flying in the direction of the police."
Kelley confirmed that the police were "met with jeers" and "some members [of the crowd] threw beer bottles."
One bottle hit an officer in the head, which caused police to back out and reevaluate the situation.
Around 40 minutes later, Newmarket and Lee police and New Hampshire State Police were called in to help control the crowd with pepper spray and pepper balls.
Pepper balls, according to Kelley, contain the same materials as pepper spray except they are shot from a paintball gun. Once they hits a hard surface, such as the ground or a person, the powder is released.
"They left for a while, nothing happened," Cherbaka said. "Out of nowhere, everyone just started screaming and running. More beer cans and bottles flew in the direction of the cops and then they started spraying us with tear gas."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge