Police break up 500-person party
Over 500 people gathered in the Madbury Court area on Saturday, April 27, for a party that quickly attracted police attention.
According to Durham Deputy Chief Rene Kelley, a resident called police at 4:11 p.m. asking police "to remove a large crowd from his yard and the street."
"If an emergency vehicle had to get access to that road, it wouldn't have been able to [due to the crowd]," Kelley said.
Durham police officers arrived on the scene to find hundreds of people, both students and non-students, partying. They then left in order to request assistance from the UNH Police Department and returned to Madbury Street.
"Leading up to the police arriving, we were all partying around the house," freshman student Allen Cherbaka, who was at the party, said. "I heard people yelling that the cops were there and bottles started flying in the direction of the police."
Kelley confirmed that the police were "met with jeers" and "some members [of the crowd] threw beer bottles."
One bottle hit an officer in the head, which caused police to back out and reevaluate the situation.
Around 40 minutes later, Newmarket and Lee police and New Hampshire State Police were called in to help control the crowd with pepper spray and pepper balls.
Pepper balls, according to Kelley, contain the same materials as pepper spray except they are shot from a paintball gun. Once they hits a hard surface, such as the ground or a person, the powder is released.
"They left for a while, nothing happened," Cherbaka said. "Out of nowhere, everyone just started screaming and running. More beer cans and bottles flew in the direction of the cops and then they started spraying us with tear gas."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus