Police break up 500-person party
Over 500 people gathered in the Madbury Court area on Saturday, April 27, for a party that quickly attracted police attention.
According to Durham Deputy Chief Rene Kelley, a resident called police at 4:11 p.m. asking police "to remove a large crowd from his yard and the street."
"If an emergency vehicle had to get access to that road, it wouldn't have been able to [due to the crowd]," Kelley said.
Durham police officers arrived on the scene to find hundreds of people, both students and non-students, partying. They then left in order to request assistance from the UNH Police Department and returned to Madbury Street.
"Leading up to the police arriving, we were all partying around the house," freshman student Allen Cherbaka, who was at the party, said. "I heard people yelling that the cops were there and bottles started flying in the direction of the police."
Kelley confirmed that the police were "met with jeers" and "some members [of the crowd] threw beer bottles."
One bottle hit an officer in the head, which caused police to back out and reevaluate the situation.
Around 40 minutes later, Newmarket and Lee police and New Hampshire State Police were called in to help control the crowd with pepper spray and pepper balls.
Pepper balls, according to Kelley, contain the same materials as pepper spray except they are shot from a paintball gun. Once they hits a hard surface, such as the ground or a person, the powder is released.
"They left for a while, nothing happened," Cherbaka said. "Out of nowhere, everyone just started screaming and running. More beer cans and bottles flew in the direction of the cops and then they started spraying us with tear gas."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”