VP Biden headed to UNH for address
Tickets already sold out for Biden’s talk
On Monday, April 4, United States Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan will give an address in the Granite State Room on the issue of sexual violence and assault on campuses and in schools at 11:30 a.m.
Biden, who sponsored the 1994 Violence Against Women Act, will be traveling the nation from campus to campus speaking out against sexual violence against women. Biden's hope is to help colleges and universities understand their civil rights obligations to better prevent and respond to sexual assault.
The address is RSVP only, and those without tickets will not be admitted.
Erika Mantz, director of Media Relations at UNH, said that last fall three UNH faculty members who research violence against women and develop effective programs to address it on college campuses were invited to the White House to display their work, as well as attend a reception at Vice President Biden's home in order to celebrate the 16th anniversary of the passage of the VAWA.
"UNH has long been regarded as a leader in addressing violence against women on campus, and university officials were pleased to learn Vice President Biden and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan will visit the Durham campus to introduce new guidance to help schools, colleges and universities," Mantz said in an email.
UNH has several nationally-recognized programs, like its Bringing in the Bystander program, which is made up of two components: A Prevention Workshop for Establishing a Community of Responsibility in-person program, and the Know-Your-Power social marketing campaign.
In 1988, UNH introduced and began funding the Sexual Harassment And Rape Prevention Program (SHARPP), one of the country's first on-campus crisis centers to "provide comprehensive confidential direct services and prevention programming to UNH students, faculty and staff," Mantz wrote.
Mary Mayhew, the program director at SHARPP, said that the program has helped more than 112 people in the community this year to date, but that SHARPP offers confidentiality to anyone that comes in.
"When a student comes to us with a concern about one or more of these issues, every interaction, with very few exceptions, are completely confidential, meaning that we can only disclose them with the survivor's written permission," Mayhew said. "That means that we are a completely safe place for someone to disclose what happened, ask questions and learn options without fear of others finding out."
SHARPP works hard to be on the forefront of education and advocacy in the prevention of sexual violence, according to Mayhew. The program is also incorporating educational materials through new and traditional media and social networking.
Mantz said that the new UNH School of Law, in conjunction with partners at UNH, will hold a national conference in October on recent innovations and research addressing domestic violence.
Tickets to see the vice president were gone around 3 p.m. yesterday, which shows Mayhew that the campus and community is serious about preventing sexual violence.
"We're excited and honored to have Vice President Biden come to UNH to speak about these issues," she said. "His record on advocating for ending violence against women is outstanding, and I'm extremely happy that he's bringing the focus on violence against women to higher education."
Doors for the event open at 9:30 a.m. on Monday. The vice president will take the stage to speak from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”