UNH's Improv Anonymous to hold auditions
Members of UNH’s improvisational comedy troupe, Improv Anonymous, perform onstage at one of their shows last semester. The group will be holding auditions for prospective members on Feb. 4 and 6 in the MUB Entertainment Center. Cam Johnson/Staff
Seeing a performance by the university's improvisational comedy troop, Improv Anonymous, is possibly one of the most hilarious experiences a student can have at UNH. Those familiar with improvised comedy know that the impromptu skits and games will make audiences laugh with their quick-witted antics and inevitable blunders.
"What makes our group so much fun is that we're so accepting of one another," Group Producer Katie Lavallee said. "We really do care so much about each other and we make each other laugh all the time.
"We're really connected and that's really what improv needs. Improv takes a lot of teamwork and being able to make your partner look good," she said. "I can't say enough good things about them - they're so funny, we make each other better."
Just as important as their teammates is the audience whose attendance, participation and roaring laughter drive the performance.
"We pack it every week, 100-120 people. It's a really good experience; everyone enjoys it, it's a nice break, people can do homework and then come relax," group member Scott Cavanaugh said.
Dan Shine, the group director, insisted "everything we do is for our audience; we love our audience. We spend so much time working on ways to make our shows better and make ourselves better performers because we're concerned with how our performance is for them."
Before the show, the hallways buzzed with a hundred restless voices - most of those people having arrived over an hour before show time to secure prime seating.
"We're really blessed to have such incredible fans. I don't know how we get this many people on a Thursday night to come see our improv shows. Every weekend in surprises me but it's always so much fun."
For all who are interested in joining the group, auditions will be held on Feb. 4 and 6 at 7:45 p.m. in the MUB Entertainment Center (Room 18). No experience necessary, just come relaxed and ready to play some games and have fun. Nick Pellegrino, a senior who auditioned twice before being accepted, said, "A lot of people would get discouraged but if you give it an extra shot you never know what can happen."
"Come on down," he said to anyone considering auditioning. "I tell everyone the same thing, just give it a go and try out. It's something new and we always have fun in auditions. Even if you realize it isn't your thing, come on down and have some laughs and some fun."
Students can check out Improv Anonymous on its Facebook page, Improv Anonymous UNH, or on Twitter @ImprovUNH. Their gut-busting performances are in the MUB Entertainment Center every Thursday night at 9 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”