UNH's Improv Anonymous to hold auditions
Members of UNH’s improvisational comedy troupe, Improv Anonymous, perform onstage at one of their shows last semester. The group will be holding auditions for prospective members on Feb. 4 and 6 in the MUB Entertainment Center. Cam Johnson/Staff
Seeing a performance by the university's improvisational comedy troop, Improv Anonymous, is possibly one of the most hilarious experiences a student can have at UNH. Those familiar with improvised comedy know that the impromptu skits and games will make audiences laugh with their quick-witted antics and inevitable blunders.
"What makes our group so much fun is that we're so accepting of one another," Group Producer Katie Lavallee said. "We really do care so much about each other and we make each other laugh all the time.
"We're really connected and that's really what improv needs. Improv takes a lot of teamwork and being able to make your partner look good," she said. "I can't say enough good things about them - they're so funny, we make each other better."
Just as important as their teammates is the audience whose attendance, participation and roaring laughter drive the performance.
"We pack it every week, 100-120 people. It's a really good experience; everyone enjoys it, it's a nice break, people can do homework and then come relax," group member Scott Cavanaugh said.
Dan Shine, the group director, insisted "everything we do is for our audience; we love our audience. We spend so much time working on ways to make our shows better and make ourselves better performers because we're concerned with how our performance is for them."
Before the show, the hallways buzzed with a hundred restless voices - most of those people having arrived over an hour before show time to secure prime seating.
"We're really blessed to have such incredible fans. I don't know how we get this many people on a Thursday night to come see our improv shows. Every weekend in surprises me but it's always so much fun."
For all who are interested in joining the group, auditions will be held on Feb. 4 and 6 at 7:45 p.m. in the MUB Entertainment Center (Room 18). No experience necessary, just come relaxed and ready to play some games and have fun. Nick Pellegrino, a senior who auditioned twice before being accepted, said, "A lot of people would get discouraged but if you give it an extra shot you never know what can happen."
"Come on down," he said to anyone considering auditioning. "I tell everyone the same thing, just give it a go and try out. It's something new and we always have fun in auditions. Even if you realize it isn't your thing, come on down and have some laughs and some fun."
Students can check out Improv Anonymous on its Facebook page, Improv Anonymous UNH, or on Twitter @ImprovUNH. Their gut-busting performances are in the MUB Entertainment Center every Thursday night at 9 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR