Editor's pick : Best summertime albums
U.S. Royalty has impressed me throughout the four seasons, although their newest album is certainly something I will listen to all summer long. Their vibe is reminiscent of the freedom of summers past, while possessing, at times, the tone of a sunny outlook for tomorrow.
- Charlie Weinmann
"Greatest Hits II"
When I think of summer there is only one album that comes to mind: Kenny Chesney's "Greatest Hits II" is top to bottom, the only thing you need for every single occasion this summer. From the track, "Living in Fast Forward" - which describes the go-go-go lifestyle that every college kid fills up with just the perfect combination of cheeseburgers, booze and good times - the song epitomizes everything that summer stands for. If you're feeling a little romantic, throw on "Never Wanted Nothing More" while on the beach watching the sunset. And when August is coming to a close and you and your friends find yourselves looking back on all the nights that never ended and mornings that came too quickly, "I Go Back" is the perfect track to reminisce to.
- Josh Sullivan
"On and On"
As usual, Jack Johnson delivers with his album "On and On," a compilation of songs in his signature laid-back acoustic style. Though not new, the timeless album will always be perfect for cruising around with windows down in the summer sun. Johnson's relaxed vibe and reflective lyrics are great for unwinding from the busyness of finals and easing into a carefree summer.
- Audrey Johnson
"A Dotted Line"
After seven years of indefinite hiatus, Nickel Creek returns with a brand new album and a cross-country tour. The bluegrass trio - with Chris Thile on mandolin, Sara Watkins on Violin, and Sean Watkins on guitar - has an upbeat tone on a large majority of the songs on A Dotted Line. "Elephant in the Grass," the instrumental on the album, is a great track to crank while cruising down the highway. If you are a fan of country, bluegrass and even soft rock, you will probably enjoy picking up this album for the summer.
- Cameron Johnson
"Give 'Em Enough Rope"
A snap of the snare and a rush of driving punk rock guitar. "Safe European Home." What a way to kick off an album. And please, don't forget Paul Simonon's Reggae-arpeggio bass lines through that opening track.
Then there's the third track- best Clash song ever in "Tommy Gun." Six beats to the measure in the drum roll make an iconic intro. Mick Jones' guitars sore over Joe Strummer's crunchy rhythm. Of course, there's the key change at 2:19. I'll keep that a surprise. Unreal.
Love those two songs. The rest of the album is fine, too. Thank you, Joe Strummer.
- Max Sullivan
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections