Tau Kappa Epsilon holds third annual volley for the kids
Tau Kappa Epsilon hosted their third annual volley for the kids, giving all of the profits to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital. Courtesy photo
The weather was beautiful and the overcast skies parted on Saturday to make way for Tau Kappa Epsilon's third annual "Volley for the Kids," a volleyball tournament held as a charity to benefit St. Jude's Children's Hospital. The tournament was held at the Stoke volleyball courts and lasted for over two hours.
Ten teams of five registered at $25 per team, competing for five $25 gift cards to Durham House of Pizza, who donated two of the gift cards in support of the cause.
The tournament had music blasting in the background, pizzas from DHOP and fun-spirited competition for the cause, drawing together hundreds of dollars for St. Jude's.
"This is for St. Jude's Children's Hospital, TKE's philanthropy organization, so all of the profits here go to the kids," said Zach Griffiths, philanthropy chairman of Tau Kappa Epsilon. "We had a goal of [raising] $500, and we came pretty close."
Some donations were collected throughout the day from passersby and people stopping to watch the tournament. Some stopped by to grab a piece of pizza offered at the TKE tent by the back door to Stoke, although most of the money was collected from the teams that registered.
The teams were all a part of the University of New Hampshire Greek life, although all campus organizations were welcomed to register and play. TKE hopes that next year's tournament will draw more organizations to support the cause, although Griffiths noted that things like this really highlight the philanthropic spirit of Greek life.
"Who doesn't want to come outside and play some volleyball for kids?" Griffiths said, commenting on how beautiful the weather has been for the tournament.
"This is the first time we've had another TKE chapter come support us," said Santos Lara Jr., president of TKE. "Worcester Polytechnic Institute came from our Zeta Nu chapter."
As Griffiths said, the fundraising was a success as the group earned a total close to their $500 goal.
"We're pretty excited," Lara said. "In the fall we did a walk with St. Jude's and raised over $3,000, but this is still good for hosting your own fundraising event."
Aside from their fundraising efforts this Saturday, TKE has a variety of philanthropic events; some invite the community to engage in games.
"In the fall we have TKE Your Best Shot, which is a dodgeball game," Griffiths said.
This Saturday's event drew in a large crowd that dwindled down as teams were eliminated and began to drift homeward, but it raised hundreds of dollars for St. Jude's. Those who participated seemed to enjoy their time.
The teams all played in good spirits, eating pizza and taking turns at the TKE tent collecting donations.
Tau Kappa Epsilon plans to host this even again next year, so look out for more Tau Kappa Epsilon philanthropy events as all of their fundraisers are for the benefit of St. Jude's.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge