Willy Wonka and the Wildcats: chocolate event draws a crowd
It was a night of pure imagination on Feb. 12 in Philbrook Dining Hall, as students and members of the UNH community took part in the "Philly and the Chocolate Factory" dinner.
A dietetic intern working with Philbrook thought of the idea for this event over a year ago, even before Holloway Commons' popular Harry Potter dinner. While brainstorming ideas for an event that focused on chocolate, the classic children's story seemed like an obvious choice for inspiration and "Philly and the Chocolate Factory" was born. Philbrook Area Manager Brandon Crosby said the idea became more elaborate over time and required much more planning.
"We started working on it and it got to be a bigger and bigger deal," Crosby said.
This led to the decision to postpone the dinner until this year. According to Crosby, the dinner was well worth it and the turnout was even greater than expected.
"For the first time, I've heard people saying, 'This is so crowded, I'm eating at Holloway.'"
Upon entering Philly, diners were entered into a world of treats both visual and consumable. The classic soundtrack from the 1971 film set the whimsical tone of the evening, as crewmembers dressed as the film's characters kept the fun going. Philbrook crewmembers decked out in green Oompa Loompa wigs prepared and served the delightful twists on the usual dining hall staples, which could only be described as "scrumdidilyumptious."
In place of plain pepperoni pizza, Philbrook's chefs created a s'more pizza that would've made Willy Wonka himself proud. More Wonka-inspired dishes included a Veruca Salted Cheesecake, Augustus Gloop chocolate river and Everlasting Gobstopper cucpakes.
The fun didn't stop there, as diners were also given personal bubble wands to enjoy while they ate and a photo booth with props let everyone get in on the costume action to commemorate the evening. Anyone who took part in the event surely felt that they, like Charlie, got the golden ticket.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge