Willy Wonka and the Wildcats: chocolate event draws a crowd
It was a night of pure imagination on Feb. 12 in Philbrook Dining Hall, as students and members of the UNH community took part in the "Philly and the Chocolate Factory" dinner.
A dietetic intern working with Philbrook thought of the idea for this event over a year ago, even before Holloway Commons' popular Harry Potter dinner. While brainstorming ideas for an event that focused on chocolate, the classic children's story seemed like an obvious choice for inspiration and "Philly and the Chocolate Factory" was born. Philbrook Area Manager Brandon Crosby said the idea became more elaborate over time and required much more planning.
"We started working on it and it got to be a bigger and bigger deal," Crosby said.
This led to the decision to postpone the dinner until this year. According to Crosby, the dinner was well worth it and the turnout was even greater than expected.
"For the first time, I've heard people saying, 'This is so crowded, I'm eating at Holloway.'"
Upon entering Philly, diners were entered into a world of treats both visual and consumable. The classic soundtrack from the 1971 film set the whimsical tone of the evening, as crewmembers dressed as the film's characters kept the fun going. Philbrook crewmembers decked out in green Oompa Loompa wigs prepared and served the delightful twists on the usual dining hall staples, which could only be described as "scrumdidilyumptious."
In place of plain pepperoni pizza, Philbrook's chefs created a s'more pizza that would've made Willy Wonka himself proud. More Wonka-inspired dishes included a Veruca Salted Cheesecake, Augustus Gloop chocolate river and Everlasting Gobstopper cucpakes.
The fun didn't stop there, as diners were also given personal bubble wands to enjoy while they ate and a photo booth with props let everyone get in on the costume action to commemorate the evening. Anyone who took part in the event surely felt that they, like Charlie, got the golden ticket.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!