Television's biggest shows come to an end: How did this happen?
It's the end of an era. Popular television shows, such as "The Office," "30 Rock," "Fringe," "Gossip Girl," and "Jersey Shore," are airing their season finales.
The American comedy "The Office" is completing its ninth season on May 16. Ratings have dipped after losing star Steve Carell, and longtime fans have felt that the quality has faded. With the loss of actors and writers Mindy Kaling and B.J. Novak, Executive Producer Greg Daniels revealed the expected news in August that "The Office" was embarking on its final season.
After airing seven seasons, and winning 14 Primetime Emmys and six Golden Globes, "30 Rock" has come to its end. The series has brought publicity and recognition to Tina Fey and revived Alec Baldwin as a king of comedy. "30 Rock" aired its final episode Jan. 31. Up to the fifth season, "30 Rock" remained consistent, though the drop of an average 6 million viewers in the fourth season, to 4.4 million viewers in the fifth, led to considering the termination of the series.
Fox's popular science fiction adventure show "Fringe" aired its final episode with a modest 3.2 million viewers and a 1.0 viewer rating. "Fringe" was regarded as a show "Fox liked enough to keep on the air long past its ratings expiration date."
The American teen drama television series "Gossip Girl" aired its final episode Dec. 17. In common with many television series, viewership and quality began strong but gradually deteriorated. The final episode of "Gossip Girl" delivered 1.5 million viewers and a 0.8 rating among adults 18 to 49, the show's best performance this season.
MTV's most-viewed series of all time, "Jersey Shore," is concluding its sixth season within three years Dec. 20. "Snooki & JWoww" took air June 21 to continue the viewer's enlightenment into the "guido" lifestyle.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge