Men's Club Hockey: Wildcats make history with championship win
With a flick of the wrist and a ding off the post, the puck ended up in the back of the net and the UNH Club hockey team stormed the ice in celebration of their first Super East Collegiate Hockey League championship in program history.
The Wildcats defeated four time defending champion William Patterson University 5-4 in OT during the championship game on Sunday, despite being down 3-1 entering the second period.
"Several times this year this team has had their backs against the wall and have found a way to win," head coach Stepehn McIssac said. "None better than this past weekend."
Late in overtime freshman forward Austin Sprague found open space at the top of the circle and took a quick wrist shot that found its way into the net after deflecting off the post.
"Once the puck left his stick we knew the puck was going in the net," sophomore goaltender Neil Scancerella said.
After the puck was in the net, the pandemonium of a championship victory ensued and the conference trophy was handed to team senior captain Sean Leahy.
"We all 'yard-saled' our gear and pig-piled after Austin Sprague sniped post late in the overtime," Sean Leahy said. "I got called over to the scorer's table to accept the league trophy to bring it back to the team and that moment was absolutely priceless."
Among all the excitement of making UNH club hockey history, it's a quick turnaround for the team in the next few weeks.
On top of winning their conference championship, the Club Cats have also earned a bid to the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) National Tournament.
This tournament consists of the top 16 teams in the country and is being held March 21-25, in Malborough, Mass. where the Club Cats will look to add a National Championship onto their resume for the 2013-2014 season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!