Men's Club Hockey: Wildcats make history with championship win
With a flick of the wrist and a ding off the post, the puck ended up in the back of the net and the UNH Club hockey team stormed the ice in celebration of their first Super East Collegiate Hockey League championship in program history.
The Wildcats defeated four time defending champion William Patterson University 5-4 in OT during the championship game on Sunday, despite being down 3-1 entering the second period.
"Several times this year this team has had their backs against the wall and have found a way to win," head coach Stepehn McIssac said. "None better than this past weekend."
Late in overtime freshman forward Austin Sprague found open space at the top of the circle and took a quick wrist shot that found its way into the net after deflecting off the post.
"Once the puck left his stick we knew the puck was going in the net," sophomore goaltender Neil Scancerella said.
After the puck was in the net, the pandemonium of a championship victory ensued and the conference trophy was handed to team senior captain Sean Leahy.
"We all 'yard-saled' our gear and pig-piled after Austin Sprague sniped post late in the overtime," Sean Leahy said. "I got called over to the scorer's table to accept the league trophy to bring it back to the team and that moment was absolutely priceless."
Among all the excitement of making UNH club hockey history, it's a quick turnaround for the team in the next few weeks.
On top of winning their conference championship, the Club Cats have also earned a bid to the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) National Tournament.
This tournament consists of the top 16 teams in the country and is being held March 21-25, in Malborough, Mass. where the Club Cats will look to add a National Championship onto their resume for the 2013-2014 season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections