'Cats place third at EAGL quad-meet
Erin Machado matched a personal best with a 9.850 on the floor exercise to highlight the University of New Hampshire gymnastics team's strongest event Friday night as the Wildcats finished in third place at an East Atlantic Gymnastics League (EAGL) quad-meet won by No. 17 Maryland.
The Terrapins (7-1-1, 5-1-1 EAGL) scored a 195.100 to defeat North Carolina State (194.600), UNH (193.300) and Towson (192.250). The Wolfpack's record now stands at 5-4-1, 2-2-1 EAGL; the Wildcats slip to 7-3, 4-2 EAGL; and the Tigers tumble to (4-7, 0-3 EAGL).
The Wildcats began the meet with three strong sets on the balance beam, but tight judging held the 'Cats to an uncharacteristically low 47.100 to slip into fourth place through one rotation. Kayla Gray notched a 9.750 to collect team-high honors and second place overall.
UNH rallied back during the second rotation to score a 48.950 on floor exercise, its highest team mark of the meet. Machado headlined the Wildcats' efforts by matching her personal best with a 9.850 for a share of fifth place. Erika Rudiger equaled her career high with a 9.825 for a seventh-place deadlock, and Jannelle Minichiello set a personal-best floor score with a 9.775 (T-13th).
In the third rotation, the Wildcats hit five of their six vaults with strong showings and no falls among the counting scores for a 48.775. Hannah Barile matched her personal best for the second straight meet by compiling a 9.825 to grab a share of fifth place. Courtney Connors had an impressive 9.800 to match her season high and an eighth-place tie.
The 'Cats concluded the competition on uneven bars, with the middle of the lineup stepping up with strong performances. Austyn Fobes tied Maryland's Karen Tang for first place with matching marks of 9.850. Fobes was supported by Rudiger and Gray, who shared fourth place with 48.475.
UNH continues its three-week road trip by competing in a tri-meet at Air Force against the Falcons and Lindenwood University on Saturday, Feb. 16, at 8 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses