Pelcher, Wildcats falter against at BU
Junior Chris Pelcher posted a team-high 15 points and the Wildcats shot 56 percent from the field in the second half, but the University of New Hampshire men's basketball team fell at Boston University, 68-56, Sunday afternoon at Case Gymnasium.
New Hampshire dropped to 7-17 on the season and 3-9 in America East play, while BU improved to 15-11 on the season and 9-4 in league play.
Pelcher, the America East Player of the Game, scored all of his points in the second half, shooting 5-6 from the field to go with seven rebounds and three steals. Senior Chandler Rhoads registered 11 points and two assists.
Maurice Watson Jr. recorded 13 points, 10 rebounds and six assists for the Terriers, while Dom Morris (13), D.J. Irving (10) and Malik Thomas (10) also reached double figures.
New Hampshire shot 37.5 percent (21-56) from the field, including 56 percent (14-25) from the floor in the second half, while Boston shot at a 45.5 (25-55) percent clip.
The teams swapped a pair of baskets to open the contest as UNH went to Rhoads and Ferg Myrick for short jumpers, but the Terriers broke the even score with seven unanswered points for the 11-4 advantage at 15:45.
After Patrick Konan broke up the stretch with a bucket down low, BU hit consecutive 3-pointers to spark an 11-0 run and move out in front, 21-8, with 11:59 left in the first half.
New Hampshire halted its 4:50 scoreless stretch with a 3-pointer from Scott Morris and followed with a free throw by Rhoads to pull within nine, 21-12. From there, the Terriers struck back with eight straight points including back-to-back 3-pointers, before Rhoads drilled a shot from beyond the arc to slice the deficit to 29-15 at 4:43.
Boston University ended the half with a 5-2 edge for the 34-17 lead at intermission. The Terriers shot 50 percent from the floor and 67 percent from downtown in the opening stanza, while Rhoads led the 'Cats with eight points and three boards.
Once again, the teams kicked off the second half by alternating a pair of baskets, but this time it was Pelcher with four early points for the Wildcats. The Terriers then scored five unanswered points, but UNH responded with a 7-0 run. Rhoads hit a 3-pointer during the stretch and Konan and Pelcher each scored on strong drives to cut the lead to 43-28 at 15:37.
BU came back with an 8-2 run until Pelcher and senior Jeron Trotman hit consecutive layups and Jordon Bronner nailed a jumper to trim the deficit to 51-36 with 11:18 left to play.
Boston stretched its lead back up to 18 over the next 2:34, but Morris stepped back and hit another 3-pointer to keep the Wildcats within reach at the 8:42 mark.
After BU responded with five straight points, the Wildcats rattled off a 12-3 run to pull within 11, 65-54, with 1:14 left to play, but the visitors could not get closer as the Terriers secured the win.
The Wildcats return to action on Wednesday, Feb. 20 when they visit Hartford at 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!