New dean to take reins at UNH Manchester
Ali Rafieymehr. Courtesy
The University of New Hampshire at Manchester will have a new dean this summer. Ali Rafieymehr will be taking over the position on July 1, from Dr. Sally Ward, who also served as a professor of sociology at UNH and interim dean for the past two years. Rafieymehr is a software engineer with a long career in higher education.
UNH officials say Rafieymehr's background in academics and the Merrimack Valley computer industry will strengthen relationships between the campus and businesses in the area. Rafieymehr holds a Ph.D. in computer science from the University of Massachusetts-Lowell, and most recently served as dean of the Division of Information Technology and Sciences at Champlain College in Vermont.
"[Dr. Rafieymehr] will be able to hit the ground running as we continue to grow our partnerships with businesses in the area," UNH Provost John Aber said in a release.
Rafieymehr worked for two decades as a software engineer at Digital Equipment Corp. and Avici Systems before holding teaching positions at Saint Anselm College, UMass-Lowell and Merrimack College. He designed the "Kids in Technology and Science" program to incite interest in science and technology among students, particularly females. Rafieymehr was also the department chair and professor of computer science and information technology at Western New England University.
"We are very pleased to welcome a new dean with the background and entrepreneurial credentials needed to continue to advance our efforts around workforce needs and economic development," UNH President Mark Huddleston said in a statement announcing the appointment.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses