Yoga for Congo to raise money for women and children hospital
In the Democratic Republic of Congo, rape is used as a weapon of war. Women and children who have been raped or have been victims of violence seek support from the Panzi Hospital in Congo.
This hospital is the only rehab clinic in the area and is very important because being raped is shunned in the Congolese community.
"The women and children in this community are very underprivileged, and we are just trying to help in any way we can," said Jimmy Assad, president of STAND at UNH.
Formerly called the Genocide Intervention Network, STAND has been an organization at UNH for the past seven years. The organization holds fundraisers to raise money for Darfur, and for any mass atrocity such as those in Syria and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
On March 6, the organization will hold an event called "Yoga for Congo." The event will consist of an hour-long yoga class led by an instructor from Three Bridges Yoga located on Main Street in Durham.
All proceeds will be donated to the Panzi Hospital to support women and children who have been faced with rape and acts of violence.
"We thought that people would love yoga, and 'Yoga for Congo' rolls off the tongue too well to not do it," Assad said.
This will be the fifth yoga class that has been held for Congo at UNH, and the organization hopes to raise $100 from ticket and T-shirt sales. The yoga class will be held in the Strafford Room at 7 p.m. with tickets costing $3 for students and $5 for non-students.
"If I was in such danger, wouldn't I want someone to help me?" Assad said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses