Yoga for Congo to raise money for women and children hospital
In the Democratic Republic of Congo, rape is used as a weapon of war. Women and children who have been raped or have been victims of violence seek support from the Panzi Hospital in Congo.
This hospital is the only rehab clinic in the area and is very important because being raped is shunned in the Congolese community.
"The women and children in this community are very underprivileged, and we are just trying to help in any way we can," said Jimmy Assad, president of STAND at UNH.
Formerly called the Genocide Intervention Network, STAND has been an organization at UNH for the past seven years. The organization holds fundraisers to raise money for Darfur, and for any mass atrocity such as those in Syria and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
On March 6, the organization will hold an event called "Yoga for Congo." The event will consist of an hour-long yoga class led by an instructor from Three Bridges Yoga located on Main Street in Durham.
All proceeds will be donated to the Panzi Hospital to support women and children who have been faced with rape and acts of violence.
"We thought that people would love yoga, and 'Yoga for Congo' rolls off the tongue too well to not do it," Assad said.
This will be the fifth yoga class that has been held for Congo at UNH, and the organization hopes to raise $100 from ticket and T-shirt sales. The yoga class will be held in the Strafford Room at 7 p.m. with tickets costing $3 for students and $5 for non-students.
"If I was in such danger, wouldn't I want someone to help me?" Assad said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The New Hampshire News Articles
Recent The New Hampshire News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE NEW HAMPSHIRE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NEW HAMPSHIRE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...