Letter: Governor Mitt Romney and The Welfare State
On Thursday, the University of New Hampshire released a media advisory entitled "Poverty Expert Available to Discuss Romney's Comments About Poor Americans." Beth Mattingly, of the Carsey Institute, says the following in the release: "Mitt Romney's statement that he is ‘not concerned about the very poor' because the nation has ‘a safety net' misses key points about families struggling in America." What Mattingly fails to point out is that Governor Romney's complete statement was "I said I'm not concerned about the very poor that have the safety net, but if it has holes in it, I will repair them."
The University of New Hampshire has egregiously taken the governor's remarks out of context in an effort to tarnish his reputation. A public university has no place pushing a political agenda or getting involved in a presidential race.
If the members of the university who published the release took the time to carefully examine Romney's economic plan, they would see that he is well aware of the problem at hand. His solutions are far more nuanced than President Obama's have been. The president's answer to the recession has boiled down to creating temporary, low-paying jobs and throwing unprecedented amounts of borrowed money at the problem of unemployment. Governor Romney instead wants to prepare the American worker for the 21st century by re-tooling the manner in which they are taught, encouraging free and fair trade, and allowing the private sector to hire more workers.
To close, Governor Romney's vision for the country is perhaps best summarized in the final statement of his jobs plan: "Our future direction rests in the hands of the American people, who are sovereign and at whose pleasure the government serves."
Robert J. Johnson
President, UNH College Republicans
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge