Organization reinstated after suspension
CommUNHiversity returns after incident
After a yearlong suspension, CommUNHiversity has officially been reinstated as a student organization at UNH. The group is known for bringing together the UNH community, but in Spring 2011, it lost recognition after a hazing incident.
The incident occurred at an event that was intended to bring the organization closer together and to create a stronger bond between new members, but what occurred was considered hazing by the university.
"It was terribly unfortunate," said CommUNHiversity member Kelsie Stevens. She went on to say that the event actually did work to bring the organization closer together, but its members do understand why there was a problem.
"We have learned so much from this and now have a better understanding of what hazing actually is," she said.
The organization is moving forward and it has now finished the reinstatement process.
"They came back as essentially a brand new organization," said Nate Hastings, the coordinator of student organization and leadership. The group had to go through the same process as a new organization and was treated no different from anyone else trying to start a group. However, CommUNHiversity is on a two-year probation.
The group had to have at least seven group members, with two being full-time officers, which was no problem for this group, since it has approximately 15-20 members. It also had to draft a constitution and have a recognition meeting. Stevens also mentioned that the group had to educate all of its members on what is considered to be hazing.
In the past, CommUNHiversity has brought many events to UNH, all of which were intended to bring the university closer together. A major event it is known for starting is the Homecoming bonfire, which is held each year after the Homecoming parade.
CommUNHiversity also started the flash dance, as well as the primal scream, which is held in Dimond Library during finals week.
Looking to the future, the organization is currently brainstorming ideas for events. It has been collaborating with the group that took over UNH's Best Dance Crew, which CommUNHiversity originally started. It is also looking to have the primal scream start again this year. Stevens spoke of trying to bring more fun events to campus now that the organization is up and running once again.
The university has high hopes for the group as well. "I think they're going to contribute a lot of community spirit to UNH," Hastings said.
That is what the group is known for and is also what Stevens hopes that students realize. Stevens said she hopes that the group's setback won't alter students' view of the group.
"Our organization is all about community and bringing the university together and getting more traditions on campus," she said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections