Catamounts not a problem for Wildcats
The UNH Women's basketball team steamrolled UVM Wednesday night, 67-45, in game that was never close.
"When we play UVM, we always have a chip on our shoulder," captain Kelsey Hogan said. "Losing by three last time down there, that hit us really hard. It was a great win tonight."
Coming off a tough loss to Stony Brook, the Wildcats started off on shaky ground by allowing two offensive rebounds during the Catamount's opening possession. Despite the three shot attempts, UVM failed to score.
Senior guard Cari Reed got things started with a nice looking three. Senior forward Morgan Frame added a layup, with Hogan adding her own from down town along with a jumper.
With the Wildcats up 10-0, the Catamounts were able to get to the free throw line and get on the board.
Freshman guard Elizabeth Belanger quickly added a layup and then followed it up with a three. Reed hit her second three followed by a Belanger bucket.
Finally, with 8:21 left to play in the first half, UVM hit it's first bucket of the night, to make it 20-4. Hogan then took the inbound and scored a three to put the nail in the coffin and make it 23-4. The Catamounts went on to outscore the Wildcats 7-6 in the remaining eight minutes of the first half.
UVM shot a dreadful 4-27 from the field in the first half, and 0-11 downtown. On the other side of the ball, UNH shot 50% (11-22) from the field while hitting 5-10 from beyond the three-point line.
"They really hurt us in the first game in the post and if they were going to beat us, they were going to beat us from the perimeter," head coach Magarity said. "Luckily they didn't shoot well and we got a great win."
The Catamounts did improve the second half, scoring 34 points and shooting 12-26 from the field. But the deficit was too large and the Wildcats scored 38 while actually shooting better in the second half, going 12-18 from the field, including a perfect 3-3 from three-point land.
Hogan returned to the starting lineup and had a very impressive night, going a perfect 6-6 from the field, including a flawless 4-4 from three. She finished with 17 points, two assists, and four rebounds.
"I had a really good feeling today, being back on the court with my family," Hogan said. "I love being on this court and in this gym. It was great."
Belanger, bumped from the starting lineup with Hogan's return, recorded 12 points, three rebounds, and three assists and a steal over 24 minutes of play.
"Whatever the team needs, I'm ready," Belanger said. "It doesn't matter to me. I'm ready either way."
Freshman forward Kendall Martenet saw some modest playing time due to such a large lead and contributed a solid six points, four from free throws, and three rebounds over 12 minutes.
"Kendall has really been working hard," coach Magarity said. "It's been tough playing behind Kaylee and Morgan, so she goes against them everyday in practice. That's made her better and tonight she got to show some of that
The win over UVM also served as head coach Maureen Magarity's first game back since giving birth in late December.
"The baby threw us for a loop coming six weeks early, so I didn't think I would be out for six weeks," coach Magarity said. "The baby is great, but it was hard being away from the team. It's nice having my husband on staff to keep me in the loop."
The Wildcats now stand at 4-6 in conference play and will travel to UMBC for their next game on Feb. 13.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”