Men's Hockey: Injuries piling up
The Wildcats lost more than just a pair of games to No. 6 Union over the weekend. In Saturday night's 3-1 loss, the Wildcats also saw defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk (ankle) and forward Grayson Downing (shoulder) leave the ice early with injuries.
van Riemsdyk was carrying the puck into the offensive zone late in the first period when he was hit into the left side boards just after crossing the blue line. The legal hit was delivered by Union right-winger Matt Wilkins.
van Riemsdyk initially stood up and tried to skate back into the play, but after just one or two short strides, he fell to the ice, unable to put any weight on his right leg. van Riemsdyk tried crawling back to the bench, but the official blew the play dead so trainers could get onto the ice.
van Riemsdyk was helped off the ice by Dan Correale and Downing.
UNH head coach Dick Umile said they will learn more about his injury, as well as Downing's, in the coming days.
"We'll wait until they see the doctors, X-rays..." Umile said following the game. "I know nothing at this point, but it doesn't look good. ... Maybe we'll get a break."
Grayson Downing, who leads the team in shots on goal with 80 this season, went down late in the second period. Downing made it back to the bench and was taken into the locker room. Downing was centering the second line with Correale and Jeff Silengo.
Downing was dealt a two-minute penalty in the first period for hitting after the whistle when he got into a shoving match with Union's Eli Lichtenwald, who was also sent to the box.
Seconds after van Riemsdyk left the ice, the Wildcats took the puck back into the offensive zone and forward Tyler Kelleher netted his third goal of the season to tie the game 1-1.
"I was really proud of the way they played under the circumstances," Umile said. "The defense picked it up a notch, led by Eric Knodel. It was phenomenal. You lose what might be one of the best defenseman in the country and then Grayson was out and everyone stepped up."
Nick Stoico can be followed on Twitter @NickStoico
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses