Letter: Eating Concerns Mentors available to help
I just wanted to follow up with the article TNH kindly published about Eating Concerns Awareness week, and the Barbie that my mentoring group, Eating Concerns Mentors, has placed in the library this week to help raise awareness. I wanted to supplement the article with more about what ECM does.
The program was started by Eva-Molly Dunbar, who is my co-leader of the program, in 2009. Our members are trained in all aspects about eating disorders. Students can connect with a mentor via the Health Services website and via Facebook. Students are then paired with a trained group member.
Our services are available for students who have a diagnosed eating disorder and need outside support, or someone who has a negative body image or some unhealthy attitudes towards food and eating.
We are also available to those who are concerned about someone else. We offer programming to dorms about body image and mindful eating, and we also sponsor the Reflections program in sororities. In the fall we brought the national Fat Talk Free Week campaign to campus, and also held an awareness walk. Myself and the other wonderful ECM members just want students to know that we are available to them. A survey conducted a few years ago at UNH found that 1 in 4 students struggle.
This is an important issue, and as our theme states, "Everybody knows somebody."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!