Letter: Eating Concerns Mentors available to help
I just wanted to follow up with the article TNH kindly published about Eating Concerns Awareness week, and the Barbie that my mentoring group, Eating Concerns Mentors, has placed in the library this week to help raise awareness. I wanted to supplement the article with more about what ECM does.
The program was started by Eva-Molly Dunbar, who is my co-leader of the program, in 2009. Our members are trained in all aspects about eating disorders. Students can connect with a mentor via the Health Services website and via Facebook. Students are then paired with a trained group member.
Our services are available for students who have a diagnosed eating disorder and need outside support, or someone who has a negative body image or some unhealthy attitudes towards food and eating.
We are also available to those who are concerned about someone else. We offer programming to dorms about body image and mindful eating, and we also sponsor the Reflections program in sororities. In the fall we brought the national Fat Talk Free Week campaign to campus, and also held an awareness walk. Myself and the other wonderful ECM members just want students to know that we are available to them. A survey conducted a few years ago at UNH found that 1 in 4 students struggle.
This is an important issue, and as our theme states, "Everybody knows somebody."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses