Letter: Eating Concerns Mentors available to help
I just wanted to follow up with the article TNH kindly published about Eating Concerns Awareness week, and the Barbie that my mentoring group, Eating Concerns Mentors, has placed in the library this week to help raise awareness. I wanted to supplement the article with more about what ECM does.
The program was started by Eva-Molly Dunbar, who is my co-leader of the program, in 2009. Our members are trained in all aspects about eating disorders. Students can connect with a mentor via the Health Services website and via Facebook. Students are then paired with a trained group member.
Our services are available for students who have a diagnosed eating disorder and need outside support, or someone who has a negative body image or some unhealthy attitudes towards food and eating.
We are also available to those who are concerned about someone else. We offer programming to dorms about body image and mindful eating, and we also sponsor the Reflections program in sororities. In the fall we brought the national Fat Talk Free Week campaign to campus, and also held an awareness walk. Myself and the other wonderful ECM members just want students to know that we are available to them. A survey conducted a few years ago at UNH found that 1 in 4 students struggle.
This is an important issue, and as our theme states, "Everybody knows somebody."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The New Hampshire News Articles
Recent The New Hampshire News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE NEW HAMPSHIRE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE NEW HAMPSHIRE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- ¿Pensando en la jubilación y el Seguro...
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...