Men's Hockey: Grayson Downing reinjures shoulder in loss
Junior forward Grayson Downing went down in the second period in an already lopsided game for the No.20 University of New Hampshire men's hockey team, where nothing could go its way. The Wildcats would eventually go on to lose to No.19 Vermont by a score of 5-2. As for the status of Downing's injury, x-rays will determine the seriousness of it in the coming days.
The injury took place in the second period on a three on two in the Catamounts zone with Downing rushing along on the right side of the net. A Catamount defender pushed Downing away towards the boards just before Downing tried to make a move to the net. The momentum of the defender triggered Downing to hit the ice and eventually leading to a direct impact with his shoulder along the boards.
UNH head coach Dick Umile responded toward the injury as a part of the game, however noted that the injury looked serious.
"It looks bad," Umile said. "Looks like he could be out for two to three weeks as he reinjured his shoulder. It doesn't look good, but we are going to have to wait on x-rays."
Downing is currently fifth in points for UNH season with 16, and fourth in goals with nine.
Teammate and fellow senior captain Eric Knodel described the injury as a great play gone wrong.
"You never want to see a teammate go down like that," Knodel said. "Especially after just coming back from an injury. It was a tough play where he was trying to a great play towards the net. He sacrificed himself for the team to make a great play."
Downing, a key contributor on the Wildcats offense was just coming back from a shoulder injury where he was out for the past two to three weeks before he re-injured himself that night. It appears to be the same shoulder that he reinjured, and will most likely be out for the same period once again. Without the contribution of Downing, the Wildcats will have to look toward the third or fourth line for a forward to fill the void in the second.
Rob Wilson can be reached on Twitter @RobWilson_TNH
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”
- CDA Launches New Digital Copper Learning Center