5K Homecoming Road Race is successful despite freezing temperatures
Tailgating was not the only thing people partook in Saturday morning, as UNH Campus Recreation presented a 5K Homecoming Road Race. The race, which had 363 people register for the event, had a total turnout of 322 runners.
The winner of this year's race, with a time of 15:47, was Stephen Monsulick of Rye, N.H. He fell 12 seconds short of the course record, set by Jim Johnson in last year's race. The winner for the female bracket this year, with a time of 18:54, was Mary Garrity of Manchester, N.H., who has been the top female competitor for three straight years.
The race was held a few weeks later than normal, and temperatures hovered around 40 degrees. However, despite the low temperature and new date, many runners came out to enjoy the day.
"It was good, a little cold at the beginning, but I feel good about it," said Rebecca Bennett, a current UNH student.
Aside from the competition of the event, the 5K Homecoming Road Race was a social event for both UNH alumni and current students. Many families and friends used the event as a way to reconnect with one another before, during and after the race.
"I ran it last year with some of my friends and I thought it would be fun to come for Homecoming and run the race with my friends who are still here," said Jacklyn Vorsteveld, a recent UNH graduate.
Despite the cold conditions at this year's UNH 5K Homecoming Race, the event can certainly be considered a success. Competitive and casual runners alike had the chance to go out, catch up with friends and get a little exercise.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More tnhonline News Articles
Recent tnhonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR TNHONLINE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST TNHONLINE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus