Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Women's Basketball: Stony Brook ends Wildcats’ four-game winning streak

The New Hampshire

Published: Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 00:02

Senior guard Kelsey Hogan registered a game-high 25 points on 9 of 14 shooting, but the University of New Hampshire women’s basketball team had its four-game winning streak snapped by Stony Brook University, 76-63, at Pritchard Gymnasium Sunday afternoon.

New Hampshire falls to 14-9 overall and 8-2 in America East. The Seawolves improve to 17-7, 8-3.

Sophomore forward Corinne Coia registered a double-digit scoring effort of 11 points. Junior guard Ariel Gaston chipped in six points, six rebounds and three steals.

UNH and SBU traded the first 14 points of the match at seven apiece in the opening five minutes. After a trey from Hogan, Proctor gave the Seawolves their first lead of the game at 11-10 on a pair of free throws followed by a jumper from the left side.

Coia momentarily gave the Wildcats the lead back on a layup with 11:12 to go in the first half. Proctor and the Seawolves retaliated with a 3-pointer to spark a 6-0 run.

Gaston interrupted the SBU streak with a dribble-drive layup as the Wildcats trailed, 16-14 with 8:29 left in the first half. In spite of the UNH basket, the Seawolves strung together another 6-0 run, raising the score to 22-14.

New Hampshire used the 3-ball to cut into Stony Brook’s lead in the latter portion of the first frame. Gaston, Kristen Anderson and Sarah-Marie Frankenberger buried shots from beyond the arc to pull within three points at 26-23 for the ’Cats. Stony Brook held onto the lead at halftime with a five-point advantage of 30-25.

The Wildcats struck first in the second stanza as Coia notched a layup to open the scoring. However, the Seawolves were able to compile a 10-2 run to stretch their lead to 40-29 with 16:20 left in the second half.

Hogan ignited a 7-0 run to reduce SBU’s lead down to four. In spite of that, the Seawolves jolted ahead on a 12-2 run to lead 52-38 with 9:55 left to play. 

UNH could not jumpstart the offense again as Stony Brook upped the score to 62-44, its largest lead of the match.

New Hampshire slashed the deficit down to 10 as part of a 10-2 run on contributions from Coia, Gaston and Hogan. The Wildcats found themselves trailing 64-54 with 4:27 remaining in the second half.

The Seawolves’ offense came back alive in the waning moments of the game, preserving their double-digit cushion. The Wildcats continued their scoring but could not muster a defensive stop. New Hampshire could not rally as Stony Brook handed the ’Cats the 76-63 loss and earned a split in the season series.

UNH clashes with Binghamton University for an away contest on Wednesday, Feb. 12 (7 p.m.).

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!

log out