Minecraft released its 1.8.8 edition, also known as version TU31 for the Xbox 360 community, on December 18th. Known as one of the biggest updates Minecraft has ever seen, the new edition is said to bring the console versions closer to the current PC build than they’ve ever been. Adding tons of new items and features as well as a few changes to the core of the game, users are sure to enjoy Minecraft’s entire revamped world.
Over 20 new items have been added to the game including salmon, raw rabbit, Rabbit stew, pufferfish, blue orchid, Tulips, Sunflowers, Lilacs, large Ferns, Rose bushes, and an armor stand.
More than 20 different types of blocks have also been added such as Granite, red sand, coarse dirt, wet sponge, and slime blocks as well as three new enchantments, one new structure, and 10 new biomes to explore.
Changes to the core of the game features new items and treasures that can be caught while fishing, enchanted books that can now receive multiple enchantments all at once, and as if that weren’t already quite the upgrade, Ghasts can now travel through portals in the Nether if the portal is big enough and now most mobs can swim. There are even some new mobs roaming the lands!
A few more added features and changes:
- Villagers now have additional professions, and can now harvest crops and breed. They’ll even turn into witches upon being struck by lightning.
- Any rectangular shape from 4×5 to 23×23 will work as a Nether Portal.
- Pumpkins and Wither Skeleton Skills can be given to spawn Golems and Withers.
- The Anvils have been rebalanced.
- A furnace can be used to create Cracked Stone Bricks and Sponge.
- Empty furnaces will only accept fuel and empty buckets in the fuel slot.
- Item frames emit a Redstone signal, and can rotate in multiple directions.
- Redstone comparators can now detect the rotation of an item in an item frame and output an equivalent power signal.
- Buttons can be placed at the top and bottom of blocks.
- Powered Activator rails dismount entities riding Minecarts.
- Water-filled cauldrons will put out burning entities, taking away one water level each time.
- Sponges have been reintroduced into Survival Mode with a new behavior and texture.
- Sugar Cane color is now affected by the specific biome.
- Melons can be found in patches similar to Pumpkins in the Jungle Biome.
- Extreme Hills Biomes now have snow at higher elevations.
- Ocean Biomes got rid of the sand and dirt, now only featuring gravel on the floor.
- Sheep drop mutton upon death.
- Arrows decelerate more quickly underwater and extinguish if on fire.
- Skeletons flee from wolves.
- Spiders no longer see players through solid blocks.
In addition to these numerous changes, the audio has been updated and an entire new Tutorial World has been created too.
With so many changes and added features, Minecraft has extended the entire world of the game, giving users way more biomes to explore, flowers to check out, and things to do!