Over the years, most BlackBerry users have proven their loyalty towards BlackBerry Messenger, or BBM. Despite this, the increasingly popular app for instant messaging WhatsApp might change this. It brings the same features present on BBM, such as staying open to receive messages, offering lots of emoticons and offering notifications for sending the messages and for when the other person has read it.
It also lets you send videos, photos, audio messages, locations and even lets you initiate voice calls. The downside here with the BBM is that it only lets you call other BlackBerry users, so you can’t use it with many people. Meanwhile, WhatsApp can be downloaded on almost any device, so there are no limitations.
If you’re using a BlackBerry and decided to quit BBM for WhatsApp, you have to know that the process of downloading and installing it is very simple and fast. Note that you have to be using BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry OS 4.7 or newer in order for the app to work.
- First, go to BlackBerry World and search in Apps for WhatsApp.
- Download it just like with any other app. Keep in mind that it’s free, so you don’t have to pay anything. Optionally, you can go to the BlackBerry WhatsApp product page and download it from there.
- Open up the application and set up your account. It works through your phone number, so you don’t have to remember any usernames or passwords. The app will automatically send a SMS to your phone and it will also detect it automatically.
- See what other friends are using the app. WhatsApp will scan your contact list and show you who else is using the app so you can chat with them.
- An optional final step is to download WhatsApp to the PC too, so that you can access the app from both platforms.