Nexus 7 tablet owners can rejoice at the news that AICP, which stands for Android Ice Cold Project, a developer team, has taken it into their own hands to give Nexus 7 tablets a taste of the newest Android operating system. What this means is that AICP has created a custom ROM firmware for the Nexus 7 tablet that is completely based on the fresh Google operating system, Android Nougat.
It kept all the features from the official build of the OS such as split screen compatibility, new interface and themes, ramped up performance upgrades as well as battery life improvement. However, their project is in its experimental stages and should not be taken without a grain a salt, as the possibility of it having some issues are existent.
- You should be warned that proceeding with installing this custom ROM means that you are deliberately saying goodbye to your tablet’s warranty, if it still has one.
- That being said, let’s get to work. First thing that you need is to root your device. Only then can you proceed with the actual ROM installing.
- The tablet devices eligible for this custom ROM are the Nexus 7 LTE Deb and Flo. Other models are not approved by the developer.
- Make sure all your important data is backed up before you start, as this process will erase everything on your tablet.
- If your tablet dies during installation, a lot of issues could occur, so make sure you have at least 80 % battery left when starting.
- The next step implies that you access ClockworkMod recovery, and under the Advanced tab, you will find and use “wipe dalvik cache”. After that’s done, you can go back to the main screen from your recovery menu and use the “install zip from SD card” option. Choose the zip file from your SD card and start the installation process.
- The same installation must be done for Google Apps, and after that, you are clear to go back by using the “go back” option, and then tapping the “reboot system now” option.
- Going to your device’s Settings menu and choosing About Device will show you what version of the OS you are using, this way you can check if the installation was successful.